Solon Beman was born in Brooklyn on October 1, 1853. He trained as an architect under Richard Upjohn (Trinity Church, NY) and entered private practice in 1877. In 1879 George Pullman commissioned 26 year old Beman, to design the Town of Pullman. Beman was prolific. The Town of Pullman included more than 1300 residences, the Hotel Florence, public buildings and the Pullman Factory. Later work included mansions, railroad stations, theaters and factories. He contributed to the World's Columbian ExposItion. Later in life, he became close friends with Mary Baker Eddy and designed more than 12 Christian Science Churches. His son, Spencer S. Beman continued his father's architectural practice.