ARCHITECTURE
CITYSCAPES
SCULPTURE
BOOKS
EXHIBITS
BLOGS
ABOUT
Merchandise Mart


THE MERCHANDISE MART
222 MERCHANDISE MART PLAZA
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS

 

GRAHAM ANDERSON PROBST & WHITE
Architects


 

VIEW LARGER - IMAGE A.MMAR.07017

LINK TO SEE MORE MERCHANDISE MART

Merchandise Mart Hall of Fame

THE MERCHANDISE MART WAS UNDER CONSTRUCTION IN 1929. LINK HERE TO PREVIEW THE BOOK
VIEW LARGER - IMAGE A.MMAR.03711
VIEW LARGER - IMAGE A.MMAR.03724
VIEW LARGER - IMAGE A.MMAR.03718
VIEW LARGER - IMAGE A.MMAR.03717

Built by Marshall Field and Company, the massive Chicago Merchandise Mart, when completed in 1930, was the world’s largest building. It encloses more than 4 million square feet of commercial space.  Designed by Alfred P. Shaw of Graham Anderson Probst and White Architects, the imposing steel structure, faced with limestone, overlooks the Chicago River.  Regularly spaced piers that define the facade are punctuated with a central tower and corner turrets.  Art Deco brass detailing highlights the building’s entrances and first floor windows.  Ornamental stone busts depicting  an  American Indian line the parapets. Marble pillars with gold leaf, and murals by Jules Guerin adorn the lobby.

CLICK ON ANY IMAGE TO LIINK TO PURCHASE